Locum tool kit


We have been asked numerous questions by pre-registration and newly qualified (and qualified pharmacists) about locum work within a community pharmacy. In response, we at pharmacistweb decided to create a tool kit which gives you all the information you need to know to get you started and keep you going!

First thing to always remember and consider are regulations. It can seem daunting to keep up with all the regulations but we have summarised a few of the essentials below:

Professional Indemnity Insurance: working in community pharmacy does require you have appropriate indemnity to cover yourself.

DBS checks: Disclosure and barring service check provides employers with information regarding you criminal convictions, warnings or reprimands. It is aimed at ensuring that you are fit to work in the trusted position of a responsible pharmacists, remember you will be dealing with the public i.e. children and vulnerable adults.

Certificates: working in community pharmacy requires you to be equipped to provide the contracted services of which that pharmacy has agreed within the NHS contract and the quality payment scheme. Luckily, all these certificates can be obtained for free by visiting the CPPE website here:

Certificates the following:

  1. Medicines use review – this is a service which involves a pharmacist reviewing a patient’s medication providing the patient falls within a set criteria. The service helps to ensure compliance, patient safety, treatment efficacy and also reduce medicine waste. Pharmacies receive a reimbursement of £28 pounds per MUR and are limited to 400 per store – so, there is an incentive for pharmacy owners to hire individuals who have an MUR certificate.

To learn more click here

  1. New medicines Service – this is a service which involves a pharmacist supporting a patient who has just received a new medication for a drug which falls within the acceptable criteria. The service involves a pharmacist contacting a patient to ensure the patient is adhering to the medication and if not to try and provide a solution which will benefit the patient. This may mean changing the medication. Again, pharmacies receive a reimbursement of £20-28 pounds per NMS – so, there is an incentive for pharmacy owners to hire individuals who have an NMS certificate. To learn more click here 
  2. NHS repeat dispensing – this certificate ensures you are aware of the requirements surrounding repeat dispensing and helps reduce medicine waste by ensuring appropriate management of repeat dispensing. This certificate is non-negotiable.
  3. Safe Guarding Children and Vulnerable adults, level 2: pharmacists liaise with a huge number of patients every day and thus this certificate helps to ensure that we are able to reduce risks faced by vulnerable adults.
  4. Dementia friends: by becoming a dementia friend you have an increased knowledge of dementia and should be able to spot the symptoms. It should help you be aware of how you can support patients. Now, although this is not yet mandatory, the pharmacy is required to ensure that at least 80% of its staff are dementia friendly. Essentially, there must be an individual in the team who is dementia friendly i.e. technician or dispenser. It might as well be you as a pharmacist. To learn more click here
  5. Minor ailment service: this is not essential but again a good to have, most pharmacies provide a minor ailment service. This is a service which allows customers to obtain certain medications free-of-charge for specific conditions.

To learn more click here

NHS smart card: even if you do not work within the community pharmacy sector full-time it is good to have a smart card.  A smart card allows you as a pharmacist to provide an Electronic Prescription Service. Let’s face it everything nowadays is pretty much digital – it’s a no brainer get one. The easiest way to obtain one is by liaising with a pharmacy manager who will direct you to the right place or provide the appropriate form for you to fill out for the Registration Authority, click here to find your local authority

Tax returns: if you are self-employed, you will be required to fill out a tax return every year – it is in your interest to seek the advice of a specialists in this area.


The pharmacy manager : “Good luck guys!”

Please invite a pharmacists and help grow pharmacistweb


Leave a Comment